Museum of Geology
Everyone is invited to tour this free museum to explore the world around them going back more than 500 million years! Come to the complete skeletal fossils of mammals, marine reptiles, fish, and dinosaurs that roamed South Dakota. They also have a stunning collection of minerals from all over the world that are sure to amaze and educate! Don't forget to bring the little ones, the brand new Kid Zone has tons of hands-on activities that are engaging for all ages! The Museum of Geology at the South Dakota School of Mines & Technology explores the natural history of Earth through scientific inquiry, preserves specimens and data as a dedicated repository for scientific research, and promotes understanding of geoscience and evolution through displays and outreach initiatives. The exhibits and public programs are located on the third floor of the O'Harra Building; the collections and laboratories are located in the Paleontology Research Laboratory.
The Museum of Geology is taking the following measures to ensure guest and staff safety:
- Total capacity: 34, Gift Shop capacity: 2
- Requiring guests wear masks and keep 6 feet of distance
- Hands on exhibits have been removed
- Tours are limited to 10 individuals from the same household and must be pre-scheduled by phone
- The Paleontology Research Lab will remain closed to the public