Mount Rushmore National Memorial
Rapid City, South Dakota, is the ideal place to stay for easy access to the Mount Rushmore National Memorial, a must-see vacation experience.
- Rising high above the treetops of the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore is a bucket list attraction that’s both meaningful and fun to explore.
- In 2016, the Memorial celebrates two big anniversaries: the 75th Anniversary of the Completion of Mount Rushmore and the National Park Service Centennial.
- Mount Rushmore features the faces of four American presidents: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln.
- Nearly three million people visit Mount Rushmore each year, drawn to the awe-inspiring scale and singular impact of the iconic American image that’s recognized around the world.
- Carving of this granite mountainside took 14 years to complete and cost $1 million, and lives on as a priceless Shrine to Democracy.
- See our Monumental Itinerary for help planning your Mount Rushmore vacation.
Where is Mount Rushmore?
Mount Rushmore is about a half hour's scenic drive from Rapid City. As you journey into the Black Hills, you'll see the area is full of interesting things to do and spectacular vistas.
Plan Your Visit
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial is open all year, seven days a week.
Mount Rushmore grounds:
5:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. (mid-March to early October)
5:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. (early October to mid-March)
Sunset - 11:00 p.m. (mid-March to late May)
9:30 - 11:00 p.m. (late May to mid-August)
8:30 - 11:00 p.m. (mid-August to early October)
Sunset - 9:00 p.m. (early October to mid-March)
Evening Lighting Ceremony:
Nightly at 9:00 p.m. (late May to mid-August)
Nightly at 8:00 p.m. (mid-August to early October)
For more information, please call 605-718-8484 or visit the Mount Rushmore National Memorial page on the National Park Service website.